Saturday 5 March 2011

Minor crisis in modern music since last week


I've been running the rule over the music reviews and listening to records from the last week, and one question springs to mind: what happened? The year started so well, with James Blake, Tim Hecker, Toro Y Moi, Braids, Kisses, Destroyer, Kyle Bobby Dunn, Jamie XX and Radiohead all releasing top notch material. In addition, PJ Harvey, Cut Copy, Smith Westerns, Com Truise, Isolee, Ducktails and Big Troubles all hit the mark.
But this week, there's been a big fall back. Rave about Anna Calvi, Dum Dum Girls and Mind Spiders all you like - they're just not ticking boxes for me today.
I'm nostalgic already for last month.
So is this a minor crisis in modern music? If so, what should I do? Why didn't anybody warn me? Should I give up on new trends now and just listen to my old Miles Davis records?
I'm going into the bunker, armed with In A Silent Way, Selected Ambient Works II and a pack of crumpets.
I don't want to be disturbed until things pick up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment