Sunday 20 November 2011

Aphex Twin


From tomorrow, electronixxx will be running down the list of the top 200 records Aphex Twin ever released. It is a highly personal and no deeply doubt flawed attempt to celebrate the work of one of the UK's greatest living musicians. Each day, 20 records will be discussed as the countdown continues. Some will say the list is a perverse mistake. Others will say the choices are wrong or ill thought through. I won't seek to argue with either viewpoint. It is simply my own take on the work of Richard David James - prioritising some things over others, giving too much praise to some releases and too little to others. Some material of the highest rank in some people's eyes is given short shrift here, while no doubt some fine music has been missed out altogether. That is as it should be. The list is borne out of a love of the music. I have listened to it since the early 1990s, and own or know almost everything that has been released. And while what I say might not please everyone, it will at least be my honest account of what his music has meant to me.
Today, before the list begins, electronixxx will set the ball rolling with an essay on Richard David James. Sloppy, ill-informed, badly written - it may be all of these things. But it is my love letter to the records of a modern great.

No comments:

Post a Comment