Sunday 2 January 2011

My cultural New Year's resolutions

2011 is here, lying before us like a great unopened book. And here are the resolutions I hope will see me through it.

1. Listen to "classic" LPs I have so far ignored in my lifetime. While no-one could claim to know everything, my perverse, wilful obsession with electronica over the years has meant I've spent most of my days ignoring established mainstream records that are cornerstones of the canon. I'm no ignoramus, but to take two stark examples, I don't own The White Album or Are You Experienced? *makes embarrassed face*

2. At the same time, I must dig deeper into the realms of the obscure. Websites like A Strangely Isolated Place or Killed in Cars make me realise I have only scratched the surface in my appreciation of the modern undeground. When Michael Pisaro / Taku Sugimoto's 2 seconds LP is riding high on many people's end-of-year lists, it tells me I am not looking hard enough.

3. Listen to more classical music. With Radio 3's Mozart marathon this month comes the thought that I've largely ignored classical music in recent years. I'm sure I'm not alone, but when I make the effort, it brings great pleasure. Effort - that's the problem here. But for a start I could give Boulez' Piano Sonatas 1-3 a listen, after pretty much letting them rot in my room for about six years. On a less severe scale, I could give Don Giovanni a proper listen, seeing as I've had it for about 15 years now. Also should tackle the early Beethoven symphonies, my double CD of Ligeti, Adam's Nixon In China, and those Schoenberg CDs I have casually listened to now and again without ever really plugging away at them.

4. Avoid everything about Mad Men until the 4th series box set comes out in March. Having finally finished series 3, I have had a couple of narrow escapes when flicking through the TV reviews. Does he die? Does he marry someone else? Does he get capped? It's the best thing on TV since the Sopranos, anyway, so I don't want to ruin it for myself and the missus.

5. Read more. 2010 was a pretty good year for books for me. Among the highlights, I managed to get through Peter Ackroyd's enormous London: The Biography, read Simon Schama's beautiful epic on the French Revolution, Citizens, and Franzen's intermittently brilliant The Corrections. Best of the lot had to be the utterly gripping All The President's Men, which I picked up after a seminar on investigative journalism with David Banks. It really is a parable of the journalistic quest in its purest form - like The Old Man and The Sea with notepads. For 200 pages, I could barely put it down. The journalist's equivalent of the Bible, really, and compulsory reading for anyone thinking of leaving the industry. Still hard to believe I'd ignored it for so many years.


6. Finish all those box sets. I was given a John Cassavetes box set for Christmas in 2009, and have watched just one film from it so far. I still have a string of Ealing comedies to watch from a box set I got about five years ago. I have a box set of Claude Chabrol films I have not even OPENED yet. The same applies to the Northern Exposure and Brideshead Revisited DVD collections. Maybe a month off work would help.




7. Finish The Wire. This resolution is like number 6, but I HAVE actually started The Wire, and really liked it. Problem here is that the wife is not a fan, so it's hard to free-up TV time to watch it. Have been stuck on episode 2 of season 4 for about six months. God only knows what Stringer Bell would do to me, if he wasn't already dead.



8. Go through the back catalogues of my favourite Krautrock bands. Tangerine Dream, a band I first came across at 16, are case in point. I have some of their records, but nothing from their great late 60s/early 70s period, apart from bits on compilations. Must also do the same with Can, Neu, Faust, Popol Vuh. Especially Popol Vuh.

9. Expand my horizons. Awesome Tapes from Africa and Woebot's peerless (now defunct) blog are two ways of showing myself I know nothing about 90 per cent of the world's music. Which must change.

10. Finally, discover the funk classics from the seventies - whose merits I have only recently begun to understand. From Funkadelic's Maggot Brain to the neglected mid-career albums of James Brown, there is so much good stuff out there that I need to get my teeth into. Sly and the Family Stone too, and - not sure if it counts as funk - but the dozens of records released by the remarkable Stevie Wonder. Have been listening to Innervisions quite a bit recently, but had spent years seeing Wonder as a bit of a novelty. Could not have been more wrong.

4 comments:

  1. Alright Rob, I'll take it to your comments section:

    Songs in the Key of Life is the only Stevie Wonder record you need after Innervisions - the rest sort of disappoint after those two;

    The White Album deserves its reputation, Are You Experienced? is no Electric Ladyland;

    Sly's There's a Riot Going On is a flawless masterpiece;

    Your choice of boxsets are so close to my own, it's ridiculous - I watched Mad Men 4 on BBC4 and you will not be disappointed. The Wire 4 is the best TV ever (sorry Samr). Tell me about Northern Exposure when you watch it - I've always been intrigued, but never seen it;

    I recommend Alex Ross's (The Rest is Noise, Listen to This) writing for guiding the ignorant (like me) through formally adventurous "classical" music. He has a great sense of balance in providing technical and contextual information and does it all in a very lucid style. The first few chapters of The Rest is Noise alone helped me listen to Wagner, Mahler, Schoenberg, Richard Strauss, Stravinsky, Messiaen and lots more without feeling completely lost. It might be the "wrong" way around, but listening backwards through some challenging early 20th century stuff to the more formally rigid Classical and Baroque periods works well for me too.

    I really liked your top 40, by the way - some stuff I have known and loved this year (mainly guitar-based) and some that sounded really interesting. Your list of blogs/websites here is also great - did you ever see one called 'A Simple Plan for This World'? Has it died?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mr Bogie, sir.

    Thanks for the comments on the list. It was fun putting it all together, although it did make me realise how narrow my taste in music really is. No jazz, no composition, nothing from anywhere outside the West, barely any hip-hop.

    But hopefully this blog will give me the chance to dig into music that I have previously overlooked.


    It's funny you should mention Alex Ross and The Rest is Noise. I heard about the book when it come out a couple of years ago, and bought it last year some time. Have so far not got around to reading it - having other weighty texts ahead of it in the queue - but it does look like it will be a very good read.


    I think Ross was able to profit from the fact that a lot of modern-minded, decently-educated people with an interest in culture have had little access to classical music. This is partly a cultural thing - it's seen for one reason or another as intellectual or difficult by some - but also because of the enormous amount of good music that is non-classical, as it were.

    I'd be grateful for any recommendations on the early 20th century composers you refer to. I know pieces by some of those you mention (Rite of Spring, the Firebird, Mahler's 5th, Messiaen's Quarter for the End of Time) but need to know more.

    Besides that, boxsets are the bane of my - and no doubt many other people's - lives. I never have time to watch them, yet continue to buy them whenever I get the chance.

    And as for There's A Riot Going On, it's a good record that I've had a for a while. Not sure about the yodelling on it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes - the wire season 4 is excellent. the final episode is 'pretty remarkable'.

    although season 3 is probably my favourite.

    my resolution is to watch the final season of battlestar galactica.

    authors i would recommend; knut hamsun, zachary german

    it seems cliche, from my point of view at least, to say this - but i would strongly recommend listening to kanye west's last two albums (if you haven't already of course). 808 & Heartbreak is 'kind of incredible'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rich - didn't have you down as a Knut Hamsen man. Actually, not sure I had ANYONE down as a Knut Hamsen man. Norwegian fella who won the Nobel Prize is about as much as I know. Didn't it transpire he had a bit of a soft spot for the Nazis in the end? Can't remember now, but I should check out Hunger at some stage. As for Zachary German, that's a new name for me - will check out who he is anon. And your Kanye recommendations are useful - I've got neither of those LPs.
    As for the Wire, I'll see how the last 2 seasons go, but I thought the first was the best. All those wiretaps, all that gritty ghetto stuff, and the excellent D'Angelo Barksdale. He was a great character. Thought season 2 in the docks was hit and miss, and season 3's premise - a lawless drugs zone - was a touch daft.
    But cracking programme.

    ReplyDelete