Saturday 29 January 2011

A new Radiohead album? And Thom Yorke and FlyLo have a chat


Thom Yorke spoke to Gilles Peterson at an awards ceremony this week. Afterwards, Peterson came away with the news that a new Radiohead album was "just done, I believe." It's the sort of tantalising titbit that we hope is true. But we mustn't get our hopes up, or we'll end up all disappointed and cross.
Anyway, that conversation was not captured on camera. But another one was, and in it Yorke met up with Flying Lotus man Steven Ellison after handing him an album of the year award.
During the exchanges - in which Yorke does most of the interview with FlyLo - Yorke talks about the FlyLo album LA, and Ellison speaks of how he first got into Burial after coming to the UK.

Yorke: What amazes me about your record is that in LA your record to me makes total sense. It's like your head opening up. The fact that people get it so much in this country [the UK] I find fascinating, because it's so cold here and wet.

FlyLo: There's something about the cold here, man, that a lot of people back home don't get.

Yorke: You were talking about that and Burial. You didn't understand Burial until you got here.

FlyLo: No, not until I got here, man. I was like on a road trip like maybe the second time I came out to the UK. I heard the new album, the Untrue album, and it was just like, I don't know man. But then we started cruising and, like, raining and it's like seeing all the buildings-

Yorke: London and shit?

FlyLo: Yeah. And it was like, oh right, it makes so much sense you know, and I just fell in love with it after that. It just opened me up, that whole experience.

Yorke: Anyway, because it's like, all the textures, it's great that they translate. I think it's amazing...

Voice off camera: Gilles?

Peterson: Yeah? Am I on?

Yorke [waves to camera]: Gotta go.

You can see the full interview on the Consequences of Sound website here

No comments:

Post a Comment