Tuesday 18 January 2011

Stravinsky - an aside


I had the day off today. As I was eating lunch, I put on an old Decca CD of The Rite of Spring. The ballet score is full of cacophony and drama. But tucked away at the end of it, almost like an aside, is a piece I haven't listened to for at least a couple of years - the elegaic Symphonies of Wind Instruments.
The music was originally published in an embryonic form in a magazine, alongside short pieces from Ravel and others.
It's a much more simple affair, but for whatever reason it has always meant a lot more to me. I think at some deep level I dislike too many notes. Too many words, too. And the Symphonies piece has a very striking sense of economy about it, and a piercing, haunting quality about the way it leads inexorably towards its beautiful coda.

No comments:

Post a Comment